Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day

Yesterday was Memorial Day and for most of us a day off from work. For many, this is exactly what the day is, a day away from work. Please do not get me wrong, as I am for any day that enables me not to be at work... For others, myself included, its a day to remember, revere and most of all be thankful.

All too often members, past and present, of our various military services are taken for granted. The sacrifice we see day after day on television gives us pause for a brief moment and on we go with the day. The past sacrifice made by millions throughout our country's history is noted in books and through various shows on television. We watch at times in utter disbelief what our men and women have accomplished and sacrificed in warfare.

My father was a three war veteran and my guess is he is one of the few who could claim this. He served in WW II, was taken prisoner, walked the Bataan Death March and worked in the Manchurian mines in what could best be described as conditions unmatched in their gruesomeness. He also served in Korea and Vietnam; thankfully without incident.

My grandfather and step grandfather served in WW I. I myself am a proud Air Force veteran that somehow managed to stay in long enough to get an education (associates degree) that led to bachelor's degree. I have several other relatives and close friends who have bravely and honorably served their country.

Personally, my record in the military was a mixed bag. Two article 15's, promotion to Staff Sergeant on my first try and I did actually earn a few medals. Given my penchant for beer, the party life and lack of maturity, its a miracle the Air Force kept me. Believe me, what I received from the Air Force was much greater than what I gave.

The military and all of its bad press is still a great institution, particularly for those young men and women that need a bit of guidance and maturity. Trust me when I say, they will get so much more than this. The following is a list of just a few important things I received from the U.S. Air Force:

Self Discipline - I will do whatever it takes to complete my assigned tasks.
Pride - Doing things correctly and looking sharp while doing it.
Patience - Hurry up and wait is the military motto - this is still a work in progress...
Military Bearing - Stand up in a professional manner when the chips are down.
Maturity - Being put in charge of others at 21 or younger speeds up the process.
Friendships - Life long and unbreakable.
Experience - Travel, job training and hands on work.
Awakening - Did not know how far I could go until I got in the service.
Citizenship - I still stand at attention during the Star Spangled Banner and love my country.

My question to anyone who does not like the military or downplays the virtues of the military life, name one entity that can take a raw young person headed for jail or worse and do this in 7.5 years?

Thanks grandpa and dad! Your guidance and love helped me to make the best decision of my life. Memorial Day is much more than a day off work for me.

No comments: