Monday, July 2, 2007

Golf and Anger


I played 18 yesterday and it may have been the worst round I played in over 2 years. After a par, par start, the wheels came off and I blew it. It has been years since I threw a club but on hole number 5, I could no longer remain mature and composed. What in the world causes this type of reaction to a bad round or a few poorly hit shots at the worst possible time?

After thinking about this quite a bit the past few hours, I am certain of two things. First, expectations tied to a particular score or range of scores can be lethal. Secondly, if you have unfinished business with work, family or friends, (interpersonal issues) and you take it to the course, you're done.

I think the first issue of expectations related to scores is a big one for me. I have been practicing and playing a great deal for the past 2 months. Additionally, I just returned from what I would call a golf boot camp at a course in Idaho where one of my friends is the head pro. While on the range, I am hitting woods and irons better than ever. I have worked on posture, left wrist breaking down and slowing my tempo. Going back to an earlier post, on the range I can do little wrong.

Yesterday my expectation was to break 80 on a nice and very playable golf course. I am not sure why of all days I decided that yesterday was it but none the less, I was ready to go low. Having that expectation I am sure was a total set up for failure and here is why; the moment I tripled the 3rd hole with a lost ball and a three putt, I was done. Done meaning the amount of pressure I placed on myself after the triple led to a series of two more bad holes trying to make birdie. By the end of the 5th, the wedge went about 100 ft into the air. I am not proud of my behavior nor am I pleased with the collapse.

One thing I have managed to learn during my life is to make things right through apology if needed or forgiveness of myself. So while I am greatly distressed by my play yesterday, I am working my way through the forgiveness process. More importantly, I am beginning to really understand the meaning of one shot at a time. Golf the teacher has found a glaring weakness within my game and me. Now golf will teach me even greater patience and composure to be sure. One shot at a time.

The second topic is fundamental to an enjoyable round of golf. Leave any issues from the rest of your life at the course parking lot or better yet solve them prior to arriving at the course. If I am thinking about a project at home or work that is not going well or if there is friction in any of my relationships, the round of golf is just not as enjoyable.

The more I play golf, the more I am convinced that the mental side of the game is every bit as important as the physical side of the game. In fact, I am really beginning to ponder how important all the technical swing related work is if my mental game is weak. Only in golf do you have equipment, technical (swing), mother nature, course designers to deal with and then you have your own emotions to concur. How could this not be the best and most compelling activity ever created?

No comments: