Thursday, July 26, 2007

Love this game

Its been a while since I last posted. A lot has been going on. My golf game is improving and the more I improve, the more I enjoy it. In the past month I have purchased a new iron set (dimension z) changed to an 8.5 X-stiff Taylor Made driver and won my first tournament since starting back up in playing tournaments.

Probably the most important thing in my improvement is not the new clubs. It actually is the amount of work I have put in on the range and learning that golf is a game of tempo and slow is the only tempo that works. For a type A personality, this has been a difficult lesson and while my tempo has improved, the desire to hit a 300 yard drive remains.

I read a great deal about golf and the swing. There are a few blogs out on the web that have a great deal of information regarding the swing and close game. The Wedge Guy is a great blog and the Wedges being sold by Terry Kohler may be the best wedges you can buy. Terry's thesis is a very simple one and its keep it in the fairway at all cost and work on the close game more that you do the long game.

I have taken his advice and worked a great deal on the close game and the driver. The driver is according to Terry, the number 1 scoring club in the bag and I agree completely. If you do not hit the driver straight and with some length, there really is no shot at making par on a consistent basis. This has been a key for my improvement as I am now much more in tune with hitting the ball straight 270 yards vs. into the hay at 300 yards.

Terry's best drill is simple yet very revealing in terms of the importance of hitting the fairway and I recommend you try it. The next round you play for fun, try this. If you hit the ball in the fairway off the tee, play it as it lies. If you hit the ball in the rough or hazard, simply take the ball back 15 yards, drop it in the fairway and play from there. Its amazing how many greens you will hit vs. hitting it from the rough...

My next tournament is August 4th with the club championship coming about three weeks after that. I am considering entering the championship flight even though my handicap is a 10. I continue to improve and I seem to play better when I play with better players.

That is all for now. Hit em straight.

No comments: